Sunday, May 3, 2009

Money talk with P and B

So, I admit I spoil my kids a bit but am also the first to say no to things. In California we can get a Barbie doll for $10 bucks but here one is $25 bucks. By now, they understand how expensive Denmark is - eating out is a treat, buying a toy is a treat, going to the movies is a treat, etc.. I just read that Denmark is the 3rd most expensive country in the world!

So, the other day they wanted something and an easy out, so I thought, was to tell them that we didn't have any money because Danny lost his game. They were sad and proceeded to ask me how we were going to eat, or have gas in the car, etc.. Some very smart questions. Eventually they forgot about it.

Fast forward a week.

Danny won his game today. The kids were so excited that we had money again. They remembered what I had said and asked what we were going to do with the money and how much it was, etc.. I am proud of them though because I said we were going to save it. They both said that's a good idea and that I could put it in their piggy bank.

I don't tell my kids the whole truth about everything because I don't think they are ready to hear the truth most of the time. I am very honest however with money. I want them to learn from us and understand that money doesn't grow on trees, you have to work hard and make sacrifices (moving away from our family and friends), save in order to get things, and so on. They are always asking questions and often save their kroners in exchange for dollars because they know they can get a lot more for their money in California. I love teaching them.

Side Note: Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan is a great book and a super easy read.

No comments: