I just had to post this.
Yesterday I picked Paige and Blake up from school and her teacher (Per - pronounced Pear) told me about the book Paige's group read. It was about a boy who has a small penis who gets made fun of. He gets teased about his penis and liking this girl. They decide to have a peeing contest to see who can pee the farthest. The one who wins gets the girl. HOLY S*** I am thinking to myself. I'm in shock.
I think about this on the way home and Danny and I discuss this. We both decide that I need to tell him that Paige is not to hear that story again. (BTW - I am already this high maintenance American asking for things to be translated into English)
So, Today I go to her school and tell Per. This is our conversation.
Me: My husband and I have decided that the book about the penis is not appropriate and we do not want Paige to hear it again. That doesn't mean you can't read it still, she just needs to leave the room.
Per: Can I ask Why?
Me: Sure, many reasons. 1.) Your private parts are private and should not be discussed - certainly should not be comparing the size. They should not even be looking at eachothers parts. 2.) Peeing in public is not OK and certainly a peeing contest is not OK. 3.) I don't think competing to win a girl is appropriate.
Per: Wow, our cultures are very different.
Me: Just a little.. (he's not getting my sarcasm - Danes never do)
Per: Well, we have a follow up book for next week about how babies are made
Me: Like how they come out?
Per: No, how they are made
Me: Oh, I don't think she'll be listening to that either.
Per: Where does she think babies come from then?
Me: A mom and dad who love eachother pray for a baby and it is up to God to provide them with one
Per: When are you going to tell her the truth?
Me: When she is older and more mature. She is 5! She's never really asked specifics.
Per: Well, we are discussing playing with boys and girls and have a game that involves the girl chasing the boy and when she tags him she has to kiss him on the cheek.
Me: (shocked again) Yeah, another thing she'll have to sit out of. (My reasons: Ewww... these kids always have snotty noses and why do they have to kiss? Can't they just tag them, like normal human beings?)
Per: OK.... something to think about.
Me: Now you know where we stand on some issues so if you are going to read anything more about sexuality, babies, etc.. maybe ask me first?
Per: OK. Thanks! (he's still shocked that I have so many issues with this)
Later in the day I told me American friend and she had the same reaction we had. She then informs me that Danes are very lax on their sexuality (on regular TV each night porn is always playing and you can get magazines at the check out with naked woman on them) and at the age of 15 it is by law legal for a girl to bring her boyfriend home and let him sleep over. The parents cannot kick him out or he could call the cops!
My other American friend went to the doctor with her 14 year old daughter and the doctor, no hesitation, asked if she wanted to get on the pill. At 14!!!! It's just what they do here.
Luckily we won't be here when these issues will be concerns for us. It still amazes me how different my life is here from that in California. Be thankful for what you have and stand up for what you believe. I think the people here don't do that so when someone comes in and says something they are shocked.
On a side note, next week Paige's age group is going to the woods to experiment with fire and beer cans. Seriously this is what the note says... Still not sure about this one. But, why not look for bugs or take a ball and play soccer??
It's always something...
Friday, March 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment